Above and Beyond the LTC
If you plan to carry a concealed handgun regularly, the Texas License to Carry class only scratches the surface of what you really need to know. For those who want to build a stronger foundation for safe and responsible carry, we recommend Defensive Pistol 1. This class will teach you the essential skills needed to safely draw from a holster, accurately deliver multiple shots on target, clear malfunctions, incorporate movement, and reload under stress. It will also give you the foundation to compete in IDPA matches or other action pistol sports, an excellent way to practice your self-defense skills.
How long is the course?
Four hours (approximately)
How much does this course cost?
If you’re using your own gear, the course is $100.00. If you’d like to use our loaner equipment, the course is $150.00. As always, we offer a 20% discount for members of the military. Course price includes any applicable range fees (paid directly to the firing range where we shoot).
What equipment do I need to bring?
For this class, you’ll need the following equipment:
- a quality handgun (revolver or semi-automatic)
- about 200 rounds of ammunition
- at least one extra magazine or speed-loader
- at least one belt-mounted pouch for your extra magazine or speed-loader
- eye protection and ear protection
- a quality holster made to fit your particular handgun
- a sturdy belt that can support the weight of the firearm
If you don’t yet have your own gear, TDR Training has loaner equipment available for a small tuition surcharge (please see course fee information for details).